Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Rick with Puppet Friends


Rick with Puppet Friends
Originally uploaded by Broussardish.
We just got back from a long drive to explore the neighboring state of Vermont and to visit good friends Ernesto, Kristen, David and Sophia. A highlight of the trip was a visit to the Bread and Puppet Theater in Glover, north of St. Johnsbury. We arrived there as it was growing dark, just in time to visit the museum for a minute before the Friday night "dance" performance. The evening was cool and damp and there was a feeling of destiny in the air. Young creative people hovered about and older creative people mingled easily among them. Odd wooden buildings, old vehicles, a painted bus and a myriad of unfinished projects seemed to sprout from the soil and weeds. At one point, Jemi mentioned that the Bread and Puppet farm must remind me a bit of our old farm in DeFuniak Springs, and I replied, "It's like the Farm fully realized." And it was uncannily like the farm might have been if my friends had focused their creative energies and allied with those of my mom and dad. Puppetry and bread baking were always key expressions of art (and love) in my family. I'm still making puppets (so is my dad). After this trip, I'm planning to try my hand at baking bread. Peter Schumann, the genius behind the theater, uses an outdoor clay oven to bake the bread that they hand out at their pageants. I've begun to investigate the materials and specs to put such an oven in the backyard here at 233 South St.

I guess artistic hunger is contagious.

2 comments:

Ernesto Burden said...

Boy, it took one heck of a puppetmaster to make that one in the middle with the baseball hat and shorts... Great seeing you all! Bread... ummmmm.

Kristen said...

Hope you made it back in time for your show after eating Ben & Jerry's!! Thanks for coming out to see and us and we are enjoying the Mary Oliver poems you got for Sofi...will be putting up a blog about them very soon!! Something to do with berries...